OIL LAMP and LANTERN FUEL
Standard Lamp Oil, Synthetic Kerosene or Kerosene Substitute are recommended for indoor use.
Clear K-1 Kerosene with a flash point of 124 to 150 degrees is recommended for outdoor use.
The minimum recommended flash point for kerosene used in oil lamps and lanterns is 124 Degrees Fahrenheit.
The approved fuels for INDOOR or OUTDOOR use in Tubular Lanterns and Flat Wick Oil Lamps are:
1. Lamplight Farms Clear Medallion Brand Lamp Oil. Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit
2. W.M. Barr & Co. Klean-Heat® Kerosene Substitute. Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit
3. Crown Brand Clear Lamp Oil. Flash Point: 141 Degrees Fahrenheit
4. MVP Group International Florasense Brand Lamp Oil. Flash Point: 142 Degrees Fahrenheit
5. Recochem Clear Lamp Oil (Sold in Canada). Flash Point: 124 Degrees Fahrenheit
The approved fuels for OUTDOOR use in Tubular Lanterns and Flat Wick Oil Lamps are:
1. Non-Dyed (Clear) Kerosene with a Flash Point Between 124 and 150 Degrees Fahrenheit
2. Sunnyside Brand 1-K Kerosene. Flash Point: 125 Degrees Fahrenheit
3. Coleman Brand Kerosene Fuel. Flash Point: 130 Degrees Fahrenheit
4. Crown 1-K Fuel Grade Kerosene. Flash Point: 150 Degrees Fahrenheit
5. Crown® Citronella Torch and Lamp Fuel (OUTDOOR USE ONLY, cut 50:50 with kerosene to extend wick life.) Flash Point: 141 Degrees Fahrenheit
6. Tiki Brand Citronella Torch Fuel (OUTDOOR USE ONLY, cut 50:50 with kerosene to extend wick life.) Flash Point: 145 Degrees Fahrenheit
NOTICE: Dyed kerosene or lamp oil will eventually clog the wick and inhibit proper operation. It can also permanently stain the lamp or lantern.
If you purchase kerosene from a gas station, make sure that it is from a "blocked" pump so that it is clear and not dyed red. (Un-blocked kerosene pumps by law must dispense dyed kerosene which will clog lantern wick, and cause it not to burn properly.)
Standard clear lamp oil (Lamp Light Farms Medallion Oil,) is available nationwide at: Target, K-Mart, Ace Hardware, True-Value Hardware, Sentry Hardware, and HWI Do-It Centers.
"Klean-Heat" Kerosene Substitute is available at most hardware stores and home centers.
WARNING: DO NOT USE GASOLINE or ETHYL ALCOHOL
NOTE: Never use the following in any wick lamp or lantern of any type: Gasoline, Coleman Fuel, White Gas, Paint Thinner or Mineral Spirits, Wood Alcohol, Naptha, Turpentine, Benzene, or any other Explosive fuel with a flash point under 124 Degrees Fahrenheit. Use of any of the above fuels in a wick lamp or lantern can result in property loss, serious injury or death.
NOTE: Diesel and Aviation fuels should not be used in any wick lamp or lantern as the fumes from the fuel additives can be FATAL if inhaled.
NOTE: DO NOT USE PARAFFIN OIL IN TUBULAR LANTERNS WITH 5/8" or LARGER WICK. (Use Paraffin only in lamps with 1/2" or smaller wick.)
NOTE: DIESEL, BIO-DIESEL AND OLIVE OIL ARE NOT SUITABLE SUBSTITUTES FOR ANY OF THE APPROVED FUELS AS THEY HAVE A FLASH POINT OVER 200 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT